I can't tell if this really is the most event-ridden, news-heavy Con in history or if companies are just getting better at fluffing themselves up via press release. It seems like so much is going on. It's mind-boggling.
So let's look at a case in point: Nickelodean. No, the below isn't just for kids. For one, there's that awesome invitation to pitch them right from the floor. For another, they're offering a lot of fun activities that will appeal to any ages.
- VO Your Favorite Show: This is a voice record booth where you can test your voiceover skills by recording a scene from a Nick animated show. The whole thing will be recorded and you'll get an email of the video featuring a side-by-side of the booth with the animated scene.
- Animated GIF booth: A photo booth with a spin; you can handpick Nick accessories or character cutouts and create a Nick-ified GIF to share across your social accounts.
- Tumblr Fan Art Contest: You can make art of your favorite Nick character, past or present, and upload it to Tumblr using #NickFanArt and it might be featured at the Nick booth during the convention. The winning 10-15 pieces will be showcased on the main booth screen, as well as photographed with key talent/creators. Is there a prize beyond that? I can't tell. Still a contest, though.
- Autograph Signings: Stars of the Nickelodeon universe signing autographs; this includes SpongeBob SquarePants voice talent; The Legend of Korra creators and talent; Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles talent and executive producers; Sanjay and Craig creators and talent; Breadwinners creators, Pig Goat Banana Cricket creators and Bad Seeds creators; and Power Rangers Super Megaforce cast.
- Costumed Characters Appearances: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, SpongeBob SquarePants, Patrick Star and Power Rangers Megaforce characters will make appearances during the convention.
- Giveaways: Various products and prizes will be handed out over the course of the convention.
- Then there's "partner activity:" SpongeBob SquarePants and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles products sold at Funko booth; mini TMNT giveaway at Mega Blocks booth; TMNT IDW comic giveaway and Shredder build sold at Lego booth; TMNT banks and mini-mate figures sold at Diamond Comics booth; original black and white TMNT figures sold at Playmates booth; exclusive Bebop and Rocksteady vinyl figures sold at Kidrobot booth; Battle Damage Turtles sold at The Loyal Subjects booth; Just Like Me “Lil Mikey” sold at Mondo booth and Korra specialty merchandise and Aang figure sold at Dark Horse booth.
Oh, and if you're wondering how to find the Nickelodean booth - it's one of the loudest and showiest ones on the floor. Just look for some mammoth exhibit in the center of the Exhibit Hall and you're bound to spot it even from a distance.