Open Registration - your last chance to attend San Diego Comic-Con 2020 - is this weekend. Some of you may be prepared; many of you probably aren't. I say that based on the number of people (okay, not that many, but a few) who contacted me in the middle of Returning Reg to ask if I could get them a badge. And these were existing attendees who should know better!
If you don't know better, you're not reading this - because those people manage their Comic-Con life in a haphazard manner. But if you're still new to SDCC and maybe navigating your first badge sale without an experienced guide, you might want to review these tips:
- Be prepared to not get a badge. Go in with an attitude that it's nice if you get one, okay if you don't. There are other Cons. Try to make yourself believe it. Because Open Reg is brutal.
- Follow the instructions. There's no wiggle room in terms of late entries to the waiting room or trying to use a registration code twice. If you haven't already, test your tech. Have a good credit card on hand. Use a real laptop in a stable location instead of trying to do this on your phone in a parking lot. And let your household members know that you are entering a pressure cooker of an hour where you're liable to snap if they try to bother you.
- If you do get picked during the sale, calm down and take your time. Even laidback people get flustered during an SDCC badge sale. The last thing you want to do is pick the wrong days or forget to include someone - so don't rush. That said, don't waste too much time trying to track someone down because their Member ID isn't working. At some point, move on.
- If you get in toward the end of the sale and discover that only Thursday/Sunday or just Sunday are left - grab them and check out. You can debate the merits of those days with yourself later. Personally I believe they are well worth it, especially for first-timers looking for a toehold in the SDCC ecosystem. But if you decide otherwise, you can always turn them in.
- Finally, if you don't receive an email with a registration code - check your Member ID account. It should be there with the link.
My own badge is squared away, but I will be in the sale to help others - and I'll live-blog the sale as always. Good luck.