Are your nerves shot? Did you pledge your hatred and enmity against San Diego Comic-Con forever and ever? I know it's horrible to not get a badge. It's especially aggravating when Comic-Con is your thing, and you've dedicated so many summers and dollars and memories to it. And then you wind up exiled while undeserving people scream with joy about their badges.
If you didn't get a badge today, you can do the following:
- Wait for the badge resale. People have until May 23 to turn in their badges for refunds; those badges will all go up for sale around June. It might seem incredible that people cancel and seek refunds, but they do. Life happens.
- Contact CCI with any evidence of glitches. What I saw today: people freezing in the waiting room, people getting error messages that their Member ID was invalid, people getting bounced out of the credit card section. Let CCI know now and provide as much evidence as possible; they held a private sale for such people last year and could do that again, though it's not guaranteed.
- Try to win a contest.
- Ask any retailers you're close with if they'll have extra badges or need help at their booths. (Don't assume everyone has already asked; you'd be surprised at how blase retailers and industry people can be about their free badges.)
- Look into other conventions. Emerald City is sold out but WonderCon badges are on sale now; Phoenix Comic Con is in June, as is New York Comic Con's first comic book-focused Con, called Special Edition; Dragon*Con is in Atlanta in late summer and San Diego Comic Fest is in October.
- Remember how expensive and exhausting Comic-Con can be. Remember that most of the panels will appear on YouTube, a lot of the exclusives are easier to get from Ebay, and think of all the lines you won't have to stand in, the hotel bills you won't have to pay. You can spend that money now on a vacation that's actually relaxing.
I know none of this helps much and I'm sorry. Genuinely.