Do you harbor secret hopes of being discovered at Comic Con this year? Then go on and nominate yourself for the annual Russ Manning Promising Newcomer Award. The deadline is 31 May.
The award is for a comics artist still early in his or her career who "shows a superior knowledge and ability in the art of creating comics." (That's me! half of everyone is thinking.)
Here are the rules:
- The artist must be a newcomer to the comic field, with no professional work published prior to January 2009. Exceptions to this rule are:
- Work done as an unaccredited assistant to another artist
- Fanzine publications
- Small press with a print run of 2000 or less
- A one-shot in a new talent anthology comic
- The artist’s work must have been published prior to submission.
- A sample of the artist’s work must be included.
- A sample of the artist’s pencil work should be submitted if it was inked by another artist.
- If multiple names are credited to the work, what the artist contributed must be made clear.
- If selected as a nominee, the artist (or publisher) should be prepared to provide 25 copies of the work to be sent to the judges.